主题

回帖

205万

积分

Site Editor

积分

突出贡献

发表于 2015-7-16 20:00:56 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式

Supertramp followed an unusual path to commercial success in the 1970s, fusing the stylistic ambition and instrumental dexterity of progressive rock with the wit and tuneful melodies of British pop, and the results made them one of the most popular British acts of the '70s and ‘80s, topping the charts and filling arenas around the world at a time when their style of music was supposed to have fallen out of fashion.
Supertramp was formed in 1969 by pianist and vocalist Rick Davies. Davies had been a member of a group called the Joint, who had found a financial backer in Dutch millionaire Stanley August Miesegaes; Miesegaes had grown disenchanted with the Joint, but saw promise in Davies, and he offered to bankroll a new band if Davies wanted to launch a fresh project. Davies placed an ad in the British music weekly Melody Maker, and recruited guitarist Richard Palmer, percussionist Robert Millar, and vocalist/bassist Roger Hodgson. Davies initially dubbed the new band Daddy, but to avoid comparison with a number of other paternally named acts, he changed their billing to Supertramp, taking the name from a book by Welsh author William Henry Davies.
In 1970, Supertramp signed a deal with A&M Records, and their debut album was released later the same year. Dominated by extended prog-based compositions, the album didn't win a large audience, and Supertramp's lineup shifted, as Richard Palmer and Robert Millar left the group, Hodgson moved from bass to guitar, and bassist Frank Farrell, percussionist Kevin Currie, and Dave Winthrop on flue and sax joined the act. The new edition of Supertramp released the album Indelibly Stamped in 1971, but it fared little better in the marketplace than the debut, and Miesegaes cut off his funding of the group. Left to their own devices, Supertramp came close to collapse as most of the group's members moved on, but Davies and Hodgson put together a new version of the group — Davies on piano and vocals, Hodgson on guitar, electric piano, and vocals, Dougie Thomson on bass, Bob C. Benberg on drums and percussion, and John Anthony Helliwell on sax, woodwinds, and keyboards. This edition of Supertramp boasted a more concise and pop-oriented sound than the band that recorded the first two albums, and 1974's Crime of the Century became Supertramp's commercial breakthrough, spawning the singles "Dreamer" and "Bloody Well Right." 1975's Crisis? What Crisis? didn't fare quite as well commercially, but 1977's Even in the Quietest Moments earned the band another hit single in "Give a Little Bit," and Supertramp's steady road work earned them a reputation as an impressive live act.

Albums list:
Breakfast In America (Deluxe Edition) [Remastered]
Crime of the Century
Crisis_ What Crisis_
Even in the Quietest Moments
Famous Last Words (UK Version)
Free As a Bird
Indelibly Stamped (UK Version)
Paris (Live)
Retrospectacle - The Supertramp Antholog
Retrospectacle - The Supertramp Anthology (UK Version)
Supertramp (UK Version)
Supertramp Live 1997 (UK Version)
The Very Best of Supertramp
The Very Best of Supertramp, Vol. 2

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/artist/supertramp/id43246
购买主题 已有 7 人购买  本主题需向作者支付 150 Gold 才能浏览

主题

回帖

积分

Gold Member

积分
发表于 2017-4-3 02:34:17 | 显示全部楼层
thx 4 sharing .

主题

回帖

积分

Gold Member

积分
发表于 2017-4-3 02:34:35 | 显示全部楼层
thx 4 sharing.

主题

回帖

积分

Advanced Member

积分
发表于 2017-8-3 00:17:14 | 显示全部楼层
Now I believe in what you say
Is the undisputed truth
But I have to have things my own way
To keep me in my youth
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

QQ|Archiver|Mobile|Jail|Hoodoola 点击这里给我发消息

GMT+8, 2024-4-20 13:58 , Processed in 0.066411 second(s), 18 queries .